Pages

Sunday 26 August 2012

The scent of summer - Lavender Biscuits

The two main motivators for moving out of London were firstly to have more outside space, which in turn meant fulfilling reason number 2 - get the dog I had longed for.  The trade off - a longer commute but the upside being able to walk my dog in the summer evenings and plant my own vegetables, a stark contrast to the hustle and daily grind in London, and maybe deep down a secret hankering after the 'good life'.  So it's that time of year when most of the vegetables lovingly planted and watered all summer are ready......what is it that makes us spend months tending to a plant, waiting to pick and cook with it, when you know you could've popped to the supermarket and chosen the same thing off the shelf on any day.  This year a lack of time has meant sticking to a few basics  -tomatoes (black russian & fandango), cucumber,chilli,and the usual stock of herbs.  There's something about wandering down the garden and realising the first tomatoes are ready or seeing that chilli turn a ripe red on the window sill - it's a sense of achievement,  an accomplishment of patience.  

I realised this weekend the one other plant we have an abundance of in the garden is lavender and yet I've always overlooked it to cook with.  I love this plant in all it's varieties, and have spent the past few years filling borders and pots with every type I can find.  Not sure if it's the vivid colour or the scent that carries on the breeze as I walk through the front gate.  It's just speaks of summer to me - like havianas, ice-cream, mojitos, freshly cut grass and BBQ's.

So I thought I'd play around with some ideas and try baking biscuits, always keen to add to my baking skills and try something new.....felt a little strange pulling apart flowers to use to cook but the smell that filled the kitchen was heavenly.  






Fancy having a go then follow the recipe below;

110g unsalted butter
55g caster sugar
170g plain flour
1 1/2 tbsp fresh lavender flowers - removed from the stem 
Oven at 190 degrees C (non-fan assisted)

1. Put butter and sugar into the mixer and cream until light & fluffy
2. Add in the sifted flour and lavender and slowly bind in a ball, I find working by hand easiest.  Then cover and put in the fridge for 30 minutes.
3. Roll out onto floured surface, and using a biscuit cutter (whatever shape you fancy) cut out your biscuits.  Place onto greaseproof paper and bake for approx. 10-12 mins until just golden at the edges.
4. Leave to cool slightly and transfer onto a wire cooling tray 

Pretty happy with how these turned out for a first go - the taste and the smell of the lavender is good and not overpowering, and now feeling inspired to make a lavender infused milk to use in my next batch of cupcakes (will let you know how I get on) - any other ideas for using lavender in baking welcome.  

1 comment:

  1. I'm a big fan of lavender, but I have to say that my previous experience of using it in food (for example lavender ice cream) has led me to believe that it may be better off languishing in my soap dish rather than on my plate! However after a recent visit to a local lavender field I am now the proud owner of two shiny, new (if somewhat small) plants, so maybe I'll give the biscuits a try, as I'm a great believer in both the joy of baked goods and using your own produce where possible. Thanks for the inspiration...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.....