Pages

Thursday 20 September 2012

Quitting without a plan - Red Velvet Cupcakes

Several years ago I made the decision to walk away from a long term career, whilst it had been good to me I was terrified of becoming institutionalised and felt burnt out. A trip to Australia had made me re-evaluate what I wanted from life and the simple answer at that point was I really didn't know.  I knew that I didn't want to continue on that path, seeming to endlessly cancel social plans at the last minute due to work commitments. Having recently become a god-mother and an Aunt I wanted the time to spoil them.  A work life balance re-assessment was needed.

Leaving my job without a plan felt like the scariest thing in the world - standing on the edge of a high cliff and preparing to jump yet at the same time the most liberating decision I'd ever made.  For the first time I had no responsibilities, yet surprisingly after the initial euphoria I felt a little aimless.
For the next year I needed a 'Try it' list (you can take the girl out of corporate but you can't take corporate out of the girl) , there were the usual things on there - travel, books I meant to read, write a travel journal, learn golf, run a half marathon and top of my list learn how to bake a cupcake.  


More specifically a Red Velvet cupcake - where did this come from? I had never really been known for my prowess in the kitchen - far more likely to be found filling my wardrobe than the kitchen cupboards.  I didn't even know what half the buttons on the oven did and not once had I outwardly expressed an interest in doing this, although I had always secretly admired these little heavenly culinary creations.

So off I went and bought books, ingredients, tins & cases - I read and spent hours making a mess and experiencing the successes and failures of a VERY novice baker.  Finally the chance to try new things and be creative, something my career choice hadn't required.  Family and friends were encouraging and my confidence to experiment increased.  I was well and truly hooked.....


I went off and did the travelling which meant I had the time to plough through the huge list of books I'd meant to read and write the travel journal. I ticked off most other things on my list - ran a couple of half marathons (probably to burn off the additional calories I was now consuming with all the baking) and made a poor attempt to learn golf.  Surprisingly, the one that stays with me the most is the baking and I always end up coming back to cupcakes.


So I found myself back in the kitchen (as I am most weekends now) to tackle my nemesis the red velvet - this is the one recipe I have never managed to get right, having never achieved the vibrant red colour.  They've always come out a reddish/brown and not that divine shade that makes you want to sink your teeth into them.


Undeterred I was armed with a revised recipe and a high quality colouring......it was time to deliver as I had promised to take these into the office on Monday.


For the cakes (makes 12) you will need;


60g unsalted butter (room temperature)


1 medium egg
150g caster sugar
150g plain flour (sifted)
4 tsp red food colouring
3 tsp vanilla extract
20 cocoa powder
130ml buttermilk
150g plain flour
1.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1.5 tsp white wine vinegar

Cream the butter and sugar until well mixed, then add the beaten egg.  Add in the cocoa , colouring and vanilla extract until all well incorporated.  Add the flour bit by bit along with buttermilk a little at a time. Turn off the mixer and add the soda and vinegar so it fizzes, before giving it all a final mix.

Then spoon into the cases (or use an ice cream scoop which I always find perfect for the job).  Place in the oven at 170 degrees (non-fan assisted) for 20 minutes or until the sponge bounces back when touched.

Now at this point I looked into the oven and was thrilled with what I saw - the rise was perfect as was the colour, I let out of a squeal of delight......too soon as it turned out.  Disaster struck as I took them out and dropped the tray onto the oven door.  My perfect little cakes were now a pile of red mess squished beyond recognition!!  However, as every keen baker knows there are successes & failures, highs & lows....so in the bin and another batch were promptly whipped up and popped back in the oven.
A more successful second attempt they were put onto a wire rack to cool and finally I had cracked the colour issue - they were a lovely & vibrant red, I had finally managed the recipe which had first tempted me to take up baking.


For the frosting I used;



300g icing sugar (sifted)
50g unsalted butter (room temperature)
125g cold cream cheese (full fat)


Beat the icing sugar and butter together on a medium speed until well mixed.  Add the cream cheese and beat until fully incorporated.  Turn the mixer to high speed for approximately 7 minutes, the longer it's mixed for the more light and fluffy it will be.
 







They went to the office with me to spread a bit of Monday love (thus the little love heart decoration) and the compliments flew - "The best cupcake I've ever had" "Better than the Hummingbird Bakery" - all very kind and unexpected words but maybe that's the magic of the Red Velvet, it puts a smile on everyone's face and the happiness flows.....




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment.....